Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Anawrahta Bridge (Chauk) linking Chauk with Seikphyu


The day was cold with flurries of snow. From the briefing hall of Anawrahta Bridge Project in Chauk,
Magway Division, I enjoyed a wonderful view of the bridge over the Ayeyawady River with the west Yoma mountain range in the background. Anawrahta Bridge was standing magnificently amid the snow,symbolizing the development of the nation. Emergence of such large bridges one after another implies the nation's economic strength, technological development, and the government's benevolent attitude towards the people. Despite standing closely, Chauk and Seikphyu in Magway Division were in no position to deal much
relationship and trade with each other due to the Ayeyawady River flowing between the two townships. In the past, the vessel was local people's main means of transport. They had to spend excessive money and time if they wanted to travel from one side to the other side. Now, the situations have changed a lot. The meeting 2/95 of the Special Projects Implementation Committee of the Union of Myanmar held on 24 May 1995 gave
the green light to launch Anawrahta Bridge but now I don't need to do so. After drawing money, I can go back the same day. So, I am grateful to the government." A three-wheeled motorcycle driver said, "We three-wheeled cycle drivers are making a lot of money due to the bridge. On average, we make four or five runs a day. We have to pay 200 kyats to the toll gate for a run. We harge 300 kyats per to take much time, waiting
motorboat and crossing the river. So, we had to spend much time and money to make a trip. Now, I have sent my goods (roasted and fried lablab beans) to the market of Chauk by 8 o'clock in the morning, but I don't
have to spend much for transport charges. I distribute roasted lablab beans wholesale to my customers at the price of600 kyats a quarter of a viss. I get back to Seikphyu before lunchtime. Then, I go home by three-wheeled motorcycle, or by pony cart. It is very convenient for me to do my business, now. So, I thank the government for that." Pony cart driver U Saw Tun said, "Really, I had never dreamt about such a fine bridge. We pony cart drivers have got one more run between Chauk and Seikphyu. We have to pay 100 kyats tothe toll gate for a run and we charge 200 kyats per head. Now, we can lead a secure life. If there is a sick person, we can send those, who badly need prompt medical treatment, to the hospital in time. The commodity flow has got quicker at low fares. So, commod- ity prices are going down." So, it is fair to say that the bridge helps improve the living and working conditions of localpeople or nearby regions.

No comments: