Friday, March 6, 2009

Mandalay University of Traditional Medicine


Together with Mandalay Hill, Mandalay University of Traditional Medicine adds to the attraction of Mandalay. The only educational institution of its kind in Myanmar it serves as a source of traditional medicine and produces traditional medicine practitioners.
Mandalay University of Traditional Medicine Project was launched in 2002 and completed in 2004. Standing on a land of more than five acres, the university has a main building, a four-storey building, a three-storey building, a two-storey building and a convocation hall.
It is constituted with six departments of major subjects, 10 departments of minor subjects, an administration department, an accounts department, a students’ affairs department, a research department, a museum, library and computer department, and a herbal garden. When asked about the university, Rector Dr Aung Myint told the Kyemon Daily, “Traditional Myanmar medicine is a national legacy that has improved a lot throughout the history due to the fertile soil, vast forest coverage, temperate climate, culture, customs and traditions of our country.
“Our university has come into existence in compliance with the guidance of the Head of State on preservation and dissemination of traditional medicine without sacrificing its nature and potency.” “Regarding the academic matters,” he said “in addition to the subject on the four primary elements which are the core of traditional Myanmar medicine, we prescribe some minor subjects on western medicine such as anatomy, biology, microbiology and pharmacy for first year and second year courses.
“In second year and third year, students have to learn traditional medicine theoretically and practically. And in the fifth year, they have to study in the field. They have to study five years in total. “Our university is the only one of its kind in Myanmar, and students are of various ethnic groups, and therefore, that boost friendly relations between one ethnic group and another.
We are trying in the academic field to make our university a leading traditional medicine university at the international level, to deal with the challenges of the 21st century, and to produce traditional Myanmar medicine practitioners with a sense of social ethics and duty.” Fourth year student Ma Myat Thet Mon from Myaungmya Township, Ayeyawady Division, said, “In our township, traditional medicine is known as Beindawsay.
My father is a government staff member. When I complete education, I can give health care to my family with traditional medicine. One of my uncles consumed traditional medicines and recovered from his disease that has resistance to modern medicine. So, I came to believe traditional Myanmar medicine. So, I decided to join this university. We had to learn both traditional and modern medicine in first year. In second year, I came to have keen interest in traditional medicine, and I became confident about myself.
“As soon as I complete my education, I think I will start providing health care to the people of rural areas. I have a plan to do research on traditional medicine by then. And I want to do further studies about traditional medicine abroad.”
Fourth year student Ma Nilar Shwe from Aungmye Thazan, Mandalaysaid, “My mother believes traditional medicine. So, she urged me to join this university, and I happened to joint it. Previously, I knew traditional medicine as Bamar medicine.
Some time after I had learnt traditional medicine, I came to notice the delicacy of traditional medicine. While making a comparative study between traditional medicine and modern medicine, I came to know the important role traditional medicine plays in community health care. I want to become a skilled traditional medicine practitioner. I want to provide health care with traditional medicine in the regions with less development. I will serve as a traditional medicine health assistant in the region I will be posted to just after I complete my education. I will continue my study in the field to help improve traditional medicine. I will continue to nurture my ambition till I achieve it.” I think, in response to the government's encouragement to human resource development, students of Mandalay Traditional Medicine University will keep on working hard to improve traditional medicine and provide better health care with traditional medicine.

No comments: